BSA Kayaking and Whitewater Merit Badge
Brought to you by River Runners
The River Runners Merit Badge provides on-river and in-kayak instruction to meet the requirements for the Boy Scouts of America Whitewater and Kayaking Merit Badges. This includes a four-mile inflatable kayak tour on the Milk Run (class II) section of the Arkansas River. Much of the course is held at the River Runners Browns Canyon outpost. It can take four to five hours to complete – depending on class size.
Participants need to complete about six hours of work before the on-river course. Scouts need to cover all other requirements on their own. The course is available May 1 – Labor Day with a minimum four Scouts (maximum 20 Scouts).
- BSA certified Merit Badge Counselor
- Class II kayaking tour on the Milk Run section of the Arkansas River
- Half Day Browns Canyon Rafting Trip – 20% off with merit badge
- Riverside lunch – $8/Scout
Plan on spending about six hours preparing for the River Runners Merit Badge Course. This is best done with your troop if possible. This course is not for everyone – know your limits.
Each Scout needs to complete the following requirements before the course:
- Complete Scout Swim Test as first class swimmer.
- Complete CPR and First Aid merit badge.
- Read and discuss the BSA Whitewater Merit Badge Handbook.
- Read and discuss the BSA Kayaking Merit Badge Handbook.
- Practice and demonstrate the Trucker’s Hitch and Bowline knots.
- Review BSA Safety Afloat and the American Whitewater safety guidelines.
- Write a plan for your inflatable kayak trip and send to your council. River Runners provides list of considerations and logistics.